By Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain
- Introduces outdated English texts and considers their relation to Anglo-Saxon culture.
- Responds to renewed emphasis on historic and cultural contexts within the box of medieval studies.
- Treats almost the whole diversity of textual forms preserved in previous English.
- Considers the creation, reception and makes use of of outdated English texts.
- Integrates the Anglo-Latin backgrounds an important to realizing previous English literature.
- Offers very broad bibliographical guidance.
- Demonstrates that Anglo-Saxon stories is uniquely positioned to give a contribution to present literary debates.
Read Online or Download A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Past scholarship on classical pseudepigrapha has commonly geared toward proving problems with attribution and courting of person works, with very little cognizance paid to the texts as literary artefacts. as an alternative, this publication appears to be like at Latin fakes as refined items of a literary tradition within which collaborative practices of supplementation, recasting and role-play have been absolutely the cornerstones of rhetorical schooling and literary perform.
Guillaume de Machaut, crucial poet and musician of fourteenth-century France, had huge effect on next generations of writers in either France and England. With this scholarly translation, Minnette Gaudet and Constance B. Hieatt made his longneglected narrative poem, the Dit de l’alerion – a treatise on love and falconry – to be had to scholars of medieval literature.
Plautine traits: experiences in Plautine Comedy and its Reception, a collective quantity released as a Festschrift in honour of Prof. D. Raios (University of Ioannina), goals to give a contribution to the present, extreme dialogue on Plautine drama and interact with lots of the themes which lie on the vanguard of modern scholarship on ‘literary Plautus’.
Erotic Discourse and Early English non secular Writing discusses the position of sexuality in medieval devotional perform, having a look particularly at non secular writings circulating in England within the 10th to 13th centuries.
- Die Sangspruchdichtung Rumelants von Sachsen: Edition - Übersetzung - Kommentar (German Edition)
- Antike Epik: Eine Einführung von Homer bis in die Spätantike (Nova Classica 1) (German Edition)
- The Tradition of the Trojan War in Homer and the Epic Cycle
- Die Klage (Altdeutsche Textbibliothek) (German Edition)
- A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
Extra info for A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature)
A History of Old English Literature (Blackwell History of Literature) by Robert D. Fulk,Christopher M. Cain