By Craig W. Kallendorf
- A finished creation and review of the classical culture - the translation of classical texts in later centuries
- Comprises 26 newly commissioned essays from a global workforce of experts
- Divided into 3 sections: a chronological survey, a geographical survey, and a bit illustrating the connections among the classical culture and modern theory
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Earlier scholarship on classical pseudepigrapha has in most cases geared toward proving problems with attribution and courting of person works, with very little awareness paid to the texts as literary artefacts. as an alternative, this publication seems at Latin fakes as subtle items of a literary tradition during which collaborative practices of supplementation, recasting and role-play have been absolutely the cornerstones of rhetorical schooling and literary perform.
Guillaume de Machaut, an important poet and musician of fourteenth-century France, had substantial effect on next generations of writers in either France and England. With this scholarly translation, Minnette Gaudet and Constance B. Hieatt made his longneglected narrative poem, the Dit de l’alerion – a treatise on love and falconry – on hand to scholars of medieval literature.
Plautine traits: stories in Plautine Comedy and its Reception, a collective quantity released as a Festschrift in honour of Prof. D. Raios (University of Ioannina), goals to give a contribution to the present, extreme dialogue on Plautine drama and have interaction with many of the themes which lie on the leading edge of contemporary scholarship on ‘literary Plautus’.
Erotic Discourse and Early English non secular Writing discusses the position of sexuality in medieval devotional perform, taking a look particularly at spiritual writings circulating in England within the 10th to 13th centuries.
- English and Celtic in Contact (Routledge Studies in Germanic Linguistics)
- Tragedy Offstage: Suffering and Sympathy in Ancient Athens
- Ovid: A Poet on the Margins (Classical World)
- Liturgie und Literatur: Historische Fallstudien (Lingua Historica Germanica) (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Craig W. Kallendorf